Stress management techniques, strategy and activity are extremely important for us to live a more prosperous healthier and happier life.
Stress Management Techniques, Strategy, Activity.
In the first place, stress is helpful up to a certain but minimum level. In reality, stress facilitates to function effectively. Moreover, it creates the urgency to complete our stipulated task. Anyhow, it helps to retain our motivation.
Also, read how to stay motivated.
However, we use the word stress which actually means unbearable or too much stress.
Therefore, stress management techniques are our response to an unsuitable level of pressure.
The basis of stress management techniques is the humble realization that we are the controller of our life. In fact, stress management techniques mean to take charge of our emotions, thoughts, schedule. To tell the truth, stress management techniques are the way we deal with our problems and control our environment. Therefore, the vital goal is to lead a balanced life. Our motive of setting goals is to manage time amongst our work, relaxation, love and relationships, along with fun. Moreover, we should show resilience and positive attitude under pressure. Further, we will use the power of spoken words to meet challenges.
Stress Management Techniques:
To tell the truth, stress is essentially the intolerable worry or anxiety. This is mainly due to the pressure that we face in daily life. Stress management techniques mean the right skills to minimize or handle physical and emotional pressure due to stress or anxiety.
The importance of stress management techniques in the workplace is immense. Even, in some countries, there is a legal obligation in the workplace for both the employees and the organization. This is to ensure the physical and mental health of them.
Countries where there is no legal obligation also gives importance to it.
Identify the Sources of Stress in Our Life:
To start with, we need to find out the sources which cause stress in our life. This is the most important first step in stress management techniques. To tell the truth, it is a very hard task to pinpoint the sources of stress. It may be due to our behaviours, thoughts, feelings.
To find our factual reasons for stress, we will at first notice all our habits and explain them. Moreover, we will have to look at our excuses and attitude.
We may think of our stress as a temporary aspect. On the other hand, we may think that our stress is an integral part of our work or life. Otherwise, we may blame other people or external affairs for stress. Further, we may view it as a normal phenomenon in our life. There is nothing wrong or new to it.
Until we observe self-esteem along with self-responsibility to manage our stress, it will remain beyond our control.
Why is Stress Management Techniques Important?
To tell the truth, certain amounts of stress persist in any workplace. To be more precise, we will face stress whenever we are going to do any work. When this stress crosses a certain level, then it becomes risky for the wellbeing of the staff along with the organization. Therefore, stress management techniques are important. The benefits of stress management techniques are as follows.
- Stress management techniques enable us to motivate better. The stressful situation leaves a negative impact on our morale. It causes increased absenteeism as well as our turnover. However, good stress management skills boost the morale of us. Stress management techniques, in turn, motivates us for the betterment of our performances.
- It reduces the chances of workplace clashes. In reality, stress plays a vital role to increase workplace conflicts. It destroys workplace relationships. It undermines the whole work culture. Anyhow, effective stress management techniques avert such distraction. Moreover, it develops teamwork. It makes our lives easier and more fun.
- It develops productivity even in stressful situations. Since the morale and workplace relationships are intact, so stress management techniques contribute to enhanced productivity. Besides, it will lesser chances of poor decision-making and other people complaints.
12. Different Stress Management Techniques & Strategies:
To tell the truth, there are three types of approaches to stress management techniques and strategies.
1) Action Orientated Approaches:
Here we take some actions to change a stressful situation.
2) Emotion-oriented approaches:
Usually, we use this approach to alter our way we recognize a stressful situation.
3) Acceptance-oriented approaches:
We use this for changing stressful situations that we cannot control.
At first, we can follow these extremely important stress management techniques. As a result, our life will be very smooth and easy along with full of fun.
Action- Orientated Approaches:
These stress management techniques tell us to undergo some actions.
1) Manage our time more efficiently.
If we set our goals, prioritize them, we will be to produce more in less time. In other words, other productivity will increase. As a result, we will feel less stress and enjoy a lot.
2) Be self-Confident-
We require clear and effective communication for this.
To tell the truth, this is a very good leadership quality.
As we are self-confident, we know clearly our need or what we want. We also know what bothers us. We will do this in a fairway. While doing this, we will be sympathetic to others. As a result, we may react proactively to overcome any stressful situation. This is another vital amongst stress management techniques.
3) Create boundaries
Boundaries act like self-discipline. It is very powerful. Moreover, it facilitates us to create self-set up. It helps to determine what we will do and what we will not do. If our boundaries are healthy, then we will do those things that are good for us.
4) Reduce the distractions
We need to switch off all types of distractions. It may be a mobile phone or computer or TV. We may read some books or spend some time in silence. It acts as a good stress reliever. It helps to recharge us and increase our productivity. To tell the truth, these stress management techniques are very easy and simple
Get out of our head.
In fact, sometimes it is good to take a break. We may watch some movie or spent some time with a phone or computer or laptop. We may enjoy with friends. Even, we may go for some walk. Besides, we may spend a day with our children and better our role of parents. Actually, we should spend some enjoyable time without any tension or pressure of work.
All these stress management techniques can produce very productive results.
Emotion – Orientated Approaches:
Affirmations and imagery
To tell the truth, we know the power of a positive attitude. We should always try to increase our positive emotion.
Added to this, we shall use the power of spoken words.
Here A means adversity due to the stressful event. Then B is our beliefs, or how we respond to various occasions. Finally, C is the consequences. As a matter of fact, our beliefs lead us to actions. Accordingly, we get the result. If our beliefs are more, therefore outcome will be more positive. As stress management techniques, this ABC technique is highly beneficial.
Diet and Exercise
In the first place, we will take a balanced diet as part of a healthy eating habit. Added to this, our food must be healthy with sufficient antioxidants. Moreover, we must maintain sufficient protein-rich diet as per our age and height along with our bodyweight. Our food will also help to maintain our cholesterol balance. Further, we should try to take daily these fruits and diets. They are part of the stress management techniques. These include
In fact, like stress management techniques, a surefire way to reduce our stress is some yoga, exercise.
If we can take deep breathe, some yoga, and meditation, they, in turn, relax us physically and mentally.
It is another excellent stress management technique. To tell the truth, it will help us to overcome our stress.
To begin with, we shall always tell about our stress with our love and relations. If we share our stress or tension with our close ones, the level of tension goes down or minimizes significantly. Otherwise, we may write them down. It also helps us the reduce the level of stress. This is another amongst stress management techniques.
If we can have a sound and sufficient sleep at night, it helps a great deal to control our sleep. Added to this is our deep sleep. It also plays a very vital role in this regard. Another reason for stress is our sleep paralysis. If we have this problem, we have to know how to tackle sleep paralysis.
Start a Stress Journal.
To begin with, a stress journal is highly effective to spot the normal stressors in our life. Moreover, it tells us how we cope with them. If we can write a stress journal it will act wonderfully as a part of stress management techniques.
Whenever we will feel stress, we will keep a record of it in our stress journal. Because, we are writing them daily, so we will start to see some common patterns and reasons. We will write down the followings in our stress journal:
- At first, what is the reason of our stress? If we are not sure, we will guess and write to them.
- Secondly how we feel physically as well as emotionally and mentally.
- Thirdly, what is our usual response or how we normally react to our stress?
- Finally, what do we do to combat our stress?
Look at how we currently cope with our stress:
Now, we will study minutely the way we cope with our stress. Our stress journal will help to categorize them. It will tell us whether our strategies are healthy or helpful, or unhealthy or unhelpful.
To tell the truth, unfortunately, maximum people choose unhealthy or unhelpful ways that help to aggravate the problem.
Unhealthy Ways to Cope With The Stress:
In the first place, these unhealthy stress management techniques may momentarily reduce our stress level. But they cause serious health problems in the long run. These unhealthy ways are as follows:
- Biting nails.
- Drinking too much.
- Overeating or weight gain
- Undereating or weight loss.
- Watching TV or computer or mobile for hours and zoning out.
- Withdrawing from friends, family, and other social activities.
- Using unnecessary pills or drugs to calm down.
- Unnecessary spending money or shopping.
- Sleeping too much.
- Increased sexual activity as a way to avoid.
- Increase caffeine intake.
- Sleeping too less.
- Illegally showing stress on others by lashing out, physical violence or angry outbursts.
Learning Healthier Ways to Manage Stress:
If our stress management techniques are not healthy, then we have to find healthier ones. In fact, there are a lot of healthy ways to overcome stress. But to achieve that we will require changing ourselves. We will make one thing clear. It is either we can modify the present situation or entirely change our response.
We will choose any one of these 4 As: avoid, alter, adapt, or accept.
We will remember that one technique does not produce the same result in all situations or for all. Therefore, we need to experiment with several techniques. Next, we will find out which strategy works for us.
To Deal with Stressful Situations:
For Changing The Situation:
We will Avoid or alter the stressor.
Changing Our Reaction:
We will either Adapt or Accept the stressor.
Some Inspiring Stress Management Quotes:
1) “One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master. He told me to go slow to go fast. I think that applies to everything in life. We live as though there aren’t enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress.”
– Viggo Mortensen
2) “We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday’s burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.”
– John Newton
3) “It’s not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it.”
– Hans Selye
4) “Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.”
– Benjamin Franklin
5) “One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one’s work is terribly important.”
– Bertrand Russell
Some more quotes that may act as stress management techniques are:
6) “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.”
– John Lubbock
7) “When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure.”
– Peter Marshall
8) “Don’t try to force anything. Let life be a deep let-go. God opens millions of flowers every day without forcing their buds.” —Osho
9) “Many a calm river begins as a turbulent waterfall, yet none hurtles and foams all the way to the sea.” —Mikhail Lermontov
10) “When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.”-Winston Churchill
There are so many quotes regarding stress management techniques. It is not possible for a person to follow all the quotes. I personally follow these quotes at a regular interval.
If we can read them regularly, we can keep our stress in control. Not only this but these quotes will give us a lot of positive energy. At the same time, we will get ample mental strength
Stress management Techniques1: Avoid Unnecessary Stress:
To begin with, the followings are some very good stress management techniques.
As a matter of fact, we cannot avoid all the stress. Even it is not healthy to keep away from the situation that needs to deal with.
At first, we need to learn to say “no”. We will have to know our limits. Accordingly, we shall stick with that. Particularly, we will refuse to accept more responsibilities when we are about to reach them. If we take excess pressure that is beyond our capacity, it is a surefire invitation for stress.
Secondly, we shall take control of our environment. We will switch off the TV if the show annoyed us. We may shop online if going to the market is troublesome
Thirdly, we need to avoid those people who continuously cause us stress. If we cannot avoid the relationship, then we will lessen the time spend with him. If possible, we will totally end the relationship as part of stress management techniques.
Apart from this, we will always analyze and scrutinize our to-do list. We will schedule our daily tasks as well as our responsibilities. If the burden is excessive, then we will eliminate some works. For that, we will make a must’ and ‘should’ list. Then we will eliminate from the ‘’should’ list.
Next, we may avoid discussion over religion or politics, if that creates boredom for us.
Stress Management Technique 2: Alter The Situation:
At first, if we cannot stay away from a stressful situation, then we will try to change it.
Moreover, we will have to compromise, at times. It helps a great deal to minimize stress and make us happy.
Further, we need to be more self-confident. We shall face our problems and deal with them. Above all, we must try to overcome them. For example, we are busy with our preparation for the examination. One of our friends has come at that time. We will say him at the beginning that he will get hardly 5 minutes
Then, we will try to express our feelings whenever possible. We will always try to share our stress with someone who bothers about us.
However, we will have to manage our time in a better way. Bad time management gives birth to stress. When we run behind our time schedule, it is not possible to stay calm, cool and focused.
We need to manage our time in a much better way as part of stress management techniques. Better time management means
1)Shall not over commit.
2)Prioritization of tasks.
3) Break up jobs in small units.
4) Delegate our responsibilities.
Stress Management Technique3: Adapt The Stressor:
When we cannot change the stressor, we will change ourselves. We will then adapt to stressful situations. We will control the situation by changing both our expectations and attitude. This works marvellously as stress management techniques.
We will look at the total perspective. Next, we will take a standpoint. Besides, we need to ask ourselves how significant it will be afterwards. If our answer is no, then we will emphasis our precise energy and time elsewhere.
Moreover, we will emphasis on positivity. When stress let the things down, we require to take a pause. Now, we will think about all appreciable things of our lives. To tell the truth, it can do a miracle in our life.
Next, we need to adjust our standards. There is nothing perfect. Instead, we will set a reasonable and good enough standard for us and others.
If we think negatively, it will happen to us. As a result, it will increase our stress. But if we think positively, then the outcome will be positive. Therefore, we will always try to use the power of our spoken words.
Further, we need to see our problems again with a positive outlook. We will see some new and enjoyable ways or a new opportunity. Therefore, there will be almost no stress whatsoever.
Stress Management Technique 4: Accept The Things We Cannot Change
In fact, some stress is inevitable in everybody’s life. These are death or serious illness of a close one. Otherwise, it may be a national recession or natural calamity. In fact, we need to gladly accept all those things that are beyond our control. This is another very vital stress management technique. Rather we will focus on them that we can control. For example, reaction to any problem is at our control. Indeed, we can choose our reaction to the problem.
When we face major challenges, they are on the contrary opportunities for our self-development and growth. If our poor choices are responsible for our stress, then we should learn from our own mistakes.
Moreover, we shall practice forgiveness. If we can forgive and forget, we will be free from negative energy. It will help us to move on with a positive frame of mind.
Stress Management Technique 5: Make Time For Fun and Relaxation:
The followings are some healthy habits to relax as well as recharge ourselves.
- Go for a walk, preferably amidst the greenery.
- Listen to favourite music.
- Spend time in nature.
- Work in own garden.
- Do something to improve the home.
- Write in our gratitude journal.
- Call a close one and enjoy the discussion.
- Light some scented candles.
- Take a long or relaxing bath.
- A good session of workout can sweat out our anxiety.
- Enjoy a cup of hot coffee or tea.
- Play with kids or a pet.
- Read a good book or a journal.
- Spend some time with positive people.
- Watch a comedy.
- Have some fun and a lot of laughs. (Also read how to live life to the fullest).
- May go out for an outing with friends or family.
- Avoid procrastination
Stress Management Technique 6: Make Time And Arrange Fund For Tour And Travel:
As a matter of fact, it is extremely helpful to reduce our stress at a great level. In India, we will get numerous tourists destinations. We can go for a long tour of around 10-15 days or so. Otherwise, we may go on a weekend tour. But for this, we need to save money. Apart from this, we will have to know properly how to grow our savings.
Some of the must-visit places in India are
- Sandakphu and Phalut.
- Kolakham and Rishop.
- Murshidabad and etc.
We must remember that nurturing and enjoying is not at all a luxury, but a bare necessity. Moreover, we shall provide sufficient rest and relaxation in our daily to-do-list. Most importantly, we need to recharge ourselves from time to time. If we can follow all these stress management techniques, we will be able to live with happiness.
Most importantly, we will have to find the most suitable stress management techniques and progress in life. Finally, Effective ways of stress management techniques are helpful to balance the negative effects of stress in our life.
Above all. We will try these reliable stress remedies, reduce them and grow in life.