Sillery Gaon is a pictorial, pristine gem hamlet in Kalimpong, West Bengal. Due to its astounding splendour, it is locally famous as ‘New Darjeeling’. If you want a quaint hamlet to view the magnificent Kanchenjunga range, then it is a wonderful option. It is an ideal place to escape from the city of clamour. The serene beauty of this place is fascinating.
From here, one can see the splendid panoramic views of the snow-laded majestic mount Kanchenjunga range. Added to this is the lush greenery of a dense forest of mainly pine trees. In the silence, you can enjoy various birds chirping.
Nature is ready to offer you all its virgin beauty. Sillery Gaon is not only engulfed in the placid ambience but also possess a unique rustic style. Additionally, it offers amazing views of Mount Kanchenjunga. Due to these, it is turning out to be a perfect gateway destination for all nature lovers. As a result, tourists are coming here in numbers, of late.
Sillery Gaon: pictorial, pristine gem hamlet:
It is a newfound wonderland. You may come here with your love and relations and enjoy one or two days here. It will better your relationship. Besides, you can enjoy with your family and friends. Even, honeymooners will also relish a great deal. Most importantly, they will return home with their hearts full of joy and delight.
Hence, you will find every reason to live life to the fullest.
Only around 40 families live here.
Here, tourists will find abundant ‘Sillery’ trees. Hence, this area is Sillery Gaon. Moreover, you will come across sinkona plantation here.
It is a newfound wonder. You may come here with your love and relations and enjoy one or two days here. It will better your relationship. Honeymooners will also relish a great deal.
You may even come with your family. Your children will enjoy so much that you cannot express in words. It will also work as the role of parents for child development.
What is the Height of Sillery Gaon?
It is situated at an elevation of 6000 feet (1829 meters).
What will you see in Sillery Gaon?
To begin with, this place is surrounded by verdant forest. At first, you will get plenty of fresh air. Therefore, you can breathe in the fresh air for a few days or so long you are here. Added to this is its tranquillity.
Further, it is enclosed by lush greenery and meandering river. This is soothing for your eyes as well as your mind. Additionally, the mighty Kanchenjunga with all its beauty and splendour will simply make you spell-bound.
Places to visit in Sillery Gaon:
Ramitay View Point:
It is 17.8 km away. It will take only 47 minutes by car. Actually, it is a 3km trek
At first, you will view the awesome beauty of the mesmerizing Mount Kanchenjunga along with other snow-clad peaks.
Moreover, the view of river Teesta from here is breathtaking. You can see 14 bends of the river. This beauty is really amazing and incomparable. Further, it is the confluence of the rivers Teesta and Reshi.
If the sky is clear, then you can enjoy the scintillating view of a widespread area from Teesta Bazar to Majhitar.
Tinchuley View Point/Tinchuley Top:
Another awesome viewpoint in Sillery Gaon is Tinchuley viewpoint. It is only 30 minutes’ trek from here. The trekking experience through the stiff uphill is really thrilling. From here you can see the 360-degree Himalayan snow-cladded peaks along with the gorgeous, majestic Mount Kanchenjunga. These breathtaking vistas will have spellbound you.
Even on a clearly visible day, one can view Jelep La and Nathula Pass from here.
To reach here, you have to trek almost an hour from Sillery Gaon. It is close to Pedong. This trail is also an ideal place for bird watchers.
The fort was built long ago in the year 1690 by the Lepcha Kingdom to support the traditional violence against the Bhutias. Now it is almost ruined.
A little more upward trekking from here will take you to Hanuman top. And you will find a huge and nice statue of Lord Hanuman. From here, you can see an excellent panoramic view of Kalimpong. The pristine beauty and tranquillity of this place are incomparable.
It is only 3.1km away from Sillery Gaon. Moreover, it will take 14 minutes only to reach there. It is another awe-inspiring spot. Verdant greenery surrounds the area. You will find mainly tall pine trees spread over a vast green pasture. Among pin drop silence only chirping of birds is a thrilling experience.
It is another beautiful mount view as well as the sunset point. The glorious Himalayan peaks look splendid from here. Even you can see Tibet from here on a bright sunny day.
However, try to experience “chyam dance” during April and May. It is also revered as a holy place to the Christians.
What are the things to do in Sillery Gaon?
At first, people come here to relish the virgin beauty of nature. So, you can roam here and there to enjoy pristine mother nature and pass your leisure time. Furthermore, you can enjoy some trekking here. Otherwise, you can fill your mind with delight listening unknown saga of the chirping birds. Besides, you can enjoy the mighty Kanchenjunga.
What are the places to visit around Sillery Gaon?
There are a lot of places to go and enjoy here. There are several amazing tourist’s places nearby. Some places are in West Bengal and some places are in Sikkim. From Sillery Gaon, you can visit any of the following places.
Below are the distance and time it takes to reach by car from Sillery Gaon.
List of nearby tourist Places in West Bengal from Sillery Gaon:
- Icchegaon: 15.9 km. and 48 minutes.
- Sandakphu: 136 km. and 5 hours and 47 minutes.
- Lava: 22.8 km. and 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Rikisum: 11.1 km. and 34 minutes.
- Darjeeling: 71.8 km. and 3 hours 35 minutes.
- Kolakham: 23.7 km. and 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Ramdhura: 13.6 km. and 39 minutes only.
- Tinchuley: 53.4 km and 2 hours and 22 minutes.
- Lolegaon: 41.8 km and 1 hour and 53 minutes.
- Rishop: 23.3 km and 1 hour and 18 minutes.
List of nearby tourist Places in Sikkim from Sillery Gaon:
- Dentum: 116 km. and 4 hours and 16 minutes.
- Zuluk: 73.4 km. and 3 hours and 5 minutes.
- Aritar: 38.6 km. and 1 hour and 38 minutes.
- RishiKhola: 30 km. and 1 hour and 18 minutes.
- Nathang Valley: 96.3 km. and 3 hours and 54 minutes
- Gangtok: 78.5 km. and 2 hours and 59 minutes.
- Ravangla: 88.9 km. and 3 hours and 37 minutes.
- Pelling: 113 km. and 4 hours and 9 minutes.
- Pedong: 8.4 km and 28 minutes.
- Hee-Patal: 116 km. and 4 hours and 15 minutes.
At first, all the above places are nearby tourist attractions.
Moreover, some of them are already very popular and world-famous like
Further, few of them are already famous as offbeat destinations like
The rests are upcoming. Above all, they all are magnificent and alluring with amazing and abundant natural beauty. You will get several hotels of different classes along with homestays.
However, you can spend one or two nights or even more in all the above places.
Please read my article on Pelling. Apart from Pelling, you will know about
- Bersay Rhododendron Sanctuary.
Please read my article on Kolakham. You will know about
Added to these are:
Murshidabad: 460 km. and 11 hours and 52 minutes.
Kolkata: 649 km. and 16 hours and 19 minutes.
Ghatshila: 733 km. and 18 hours and 36 minutes.
(If you want, then you can read my other tour articles)
Some nearby pristine areas from Sillery gaon:
It will be a unique experience if you can visit the serene beauty of virgin Aritar. At first, this quint hamlet will spellbind you with its incomparable magnificent bounty of natural vistas.
Nestled at a height of around 1498 meters (4915feet) in East Sikkim. It is coming up as an upcoming destination because of its own and unique nature as well as background beauty. It is roughly 4 hours’ journey from Gangtok. Moreover, tourists who are looking to view the popular Silk route prefer to stay here at night instead of Zuluk or Nathang Valley due to its height.
From here you can see a verdant forest, rivers along with Mount Kanchenjunga range.
Tourist can also experience enjoyable trekking of around 15 minutes to reach Aritar Lake.
Some tourist attractions of Artar are:
- Lumpokhri: 4600 feet. The only lake in Sikkim with boating facility.
- Dak Bungalow.
- Aritar Gumpha.
- Lingsey Monastery.
- Mankhim: At a height of 6500feet, it is a locally popular temple of Rai. From Mankhim top you can 3600 view of the surrounding hills.
- Que (Kali) Khola Falls.
- Changey waterfall.
- Love Dara: Picnic spot.
There are a lot of hotels and homestays are available in Aritar.
Where to stay in Aritar?
Silk Route Homestay: 9433559442.
Heaven Valley Homestay: 8101320698.
Kanchenjunga Mirror Homestay: 9775915047.
Green Lawn Homestay: 9051877727.
Lampokhri Village Resort:9477476376.
Srija Green Valley Homestay: 9433510889.
Nestled at a height of 10000 feet it is another beautiful tourist destination near Sillery Gaon. You can easily go from Gangtok or Siliguri.
You can experience the awesome beauty of sunrise from nearby Thumbi viewpoint (14 km, 30 minutes, 11200feet). Mighty Kanchenjunga along with other Himalayan peaks will dumbfound you.
Added to this is the unique 32 hairpin turns in the road from Zuluk to Lungthung. You will not find this hairpin turns anywhere in India. One can relish unhindered, amazing three levels of Zig Zag roads or hairpin turns on the hills. The road remains close from December to March due to snow. It is awe-inspiringly magnificent.
This serene paradise is gaining popularity due to its unparalleled bounty of amazing and unspoiled natural beauties.
Nearby places to visit from Zuluk:
- Thumbi Viewpoint.
- Nathang Valley.
- Old Baba Mandir.
- Kupup or Elephant Lake.
- Memencho Lake.
Most importantly, all these fascinating tourist attractions will come one by one on your way. Zuluk o Memencho lake is only 34.1km. It will take only 1 hour and 17 minutes. But you have to take a lot of stoppages to enjoy the beauty of the whole area. Therefore, your whole day will be covered.
If you want, then you may stay overnight at Nathang Valley or in Memencho lake. If you stay there, then you will be able to entirely relish the awesome, thrilling beauty of this area.
Added to this, there may be rains at any time. A lot of times rains cause snow-fall. All the surrounding areas are covered with snows. Sometimes, this snow also causes road blockage.
Due to height, Zuluk, Nathan Valley, Memencho Lake are predominantly cold.
Therefore, it will be better if you keep an extra day at hand.
There are several homestays at Zuluk.
Where to stay at Zuluk?
Palzore Homestay: 9734150546.
Dilmaya Retreat: 9830689177.
Diki Homestay: 9836739437.
Snow Lion Guest House: 9830152169.
Nestled at an altitude of around 13000 feet, this is another fascinating lake in Sikkim. Fenced by virgin, verdant, pine forest along with deep slopes, it changes its colour all through the day. The water source is the glacial water that comes from the mountains around Jelep La Pass. The gurgling rivers and the waterfalls act as the water bearer.
The water is crystal clear and deep blue. It is not only famous for its mystic beauty but also popular for its trout cultivation.
The area is not accessible from January to April due to snow. The best time to visit Memencho Lake is from May to June as well as October to early November.
There is a winding road beside the Old Baba Mandir. Around 5km journey through a gravel road will take you to this mesmerizing lake.
It is another pristine jewel in east Sikkim at an altitude of around 13500 feet. Perhaps you know it well that any place at such a height is a treasure trove of nature. You will get the splendid views of the gigantic snowy peaks of the glamorous Himalayan range. You will feel that you are in heaven.
The breathtaking beauty will make you spellbound. You will find hardly any word to express the tranquil beauty.
There are a few homestays there.
Where to stay in Nathang Valley?
Pinasha Lodge: 9474648767.
Thempa Homestay: 9433305726.
Sunset Retreat: 9830689177.
Nathang Homestay: 9830152169.
You will require the permit to visit several places in Sikkim. The car drivers or the hoteliers will make the arrangement. You will require four passport size photos of every member along with adhar or voter card for every permission.
I will humbly request you to arrange at least one more day. It will be a lifetime experience. Do not miss this opportunity.
From Sillery Gaon go to Aritar, at first. From there go to Zuluk. Next, go to Memencho Lake. Further, proceed towards Changu lake. At last reach Gangtok.
The total road distance is around 168 km and it will take 6 hours and 33 minutes.
Otherwise, from Sillery Gaon go to Ramdhura and Icche gaon. From there visit Lolegaon, Kolakham, Rishop and Lava. Afterwards, visit Kalimpong. From there, you may go to Darjeeling en-route Tinchuley.
From Kolakham, Lolegaon, Rishop as well as Tinchuley, you will relish the beautiful snow-laded mighty peaks of the Eastern Himalayas. Gorgeous Mount Kanchenjunga will obviously be the pick among them. Enjoy the breath-taking sunrise. Added to this is verdant greenery.
All these are jewel a piece. Visit as many of them as possible.
What is the best time to visit Sillery Gaon?
In the first place, Sillery gaon is ready to welcome travellers all around the year, with attractive as well as ample natural splendours. Still, the best time to visit is from March to Early-June and October to mid-December.
However, the best time will be the same for any area of here.
The temperatures will also be almost the same.
March to June:
Perfectly enjoyable with clear sky in most of the times. The snows are melting and greenery coming out all around. Added to this, in April you will come-across the breath-taking views of the full swing rhododendron. It will look like the hill is on fire. Besides, enjoy the clear and mesmerizing view of the mighty Kanchenjunga range. The temperature is also moderate.
Mid-June to September:
It is rainy season. There will be torrential rains at this time. It will make it difficult to travel. Further, there are chances of landslides and road-blocks. Due to cloud and rain, you cannot see Kanchenjunga in most of the time. Foggy weather creates obstacles to view clearly. Therefore, it is risky.
But there you can enjoy rain and cloud if you are really fond of adventure as well as rain. Because tour in any hilly region at the rainy season requires an adventurous mind.
October to Mid-December:
This time the weather is perfectly pleasant to enjoy and endeavour.
January and February:
If you have no problem with extreme cold, then it is a very good time to explore Sillery Gaon. Moreover, you can enjoy the snow all around. If luck co-operates, then you can enjoy snow-fall. But, if you are travelling at the time of snow-fall be cautious.
Month wise temperature in Sillery Gaon:
- January: Average high is 150C (590F) and Average low is 40C (39.30F).
- February: Average high is 17.10C (62.60F) and Average low is 60C (42.70F).
- March: Average high is 170C (62.60F), Average low is 100C (500F).
- April: Average high is 230C (73.30F) and Average low is 150C (590F).
- May: Average high is 240C (75.20F) and Average low is 160C (60.80F).
- June: Average high is 250C (770F) and Average low is 180C (64.40F).
- July: Average high is 250C (770F) and Average low is 180C (64.40F).
- August: Average high is 250C (770F) and Average low is 180C (64.40F).
- September: Average high is 250C (770F) and Average low is 170C (62.60F).
- October: Average high is 240C (75.20F) and Average low is 140C (55.20F).
- November: Average high is 210C (69.90F) and Average low is 90C (39.30F).
- December: Average high is 170C (62.60F) and Average low is 60C (42.70F).
This is tentative. It will give you some ideas. The temperature of the Sillery Gaon will be almost identical. The temperature of the whole areas will be almost identical.
Where to stay in Sillery Gaon?
In Sillery, Gaon tourists will not get luxurious resorts and hotels. Instead, they will get some homestays like
Nirmala Homestay: 9635005318.
Sillery Gaon Retreat: 9830152169.
Heaven Valley: 9830147718
Kazi Homestay: 9433305726.
Viru Tamang Homestay: 9932775445.
Precautions while touring Sillery Gaon and nearby places:
We will take the following precautions.
- First, try to drink purified bottled water.
- Secondly, carry enough woollen clothes according to your journey time.
- Thirdly, in case of regular medications, you must carry the necessary medicines and take them regularly. Moreover, carry some anticipated medicines that may require at any time. For example, medicines of headache, fever, vomit and etc.
- Always carry voters card or adhar card of all family members along with a few Xerox copies. Because you may require them at hotels. Even on the train or at the airport, you may require them. Moreover, while travelling, you may also require them for permission along with photos.
- Next, we will keep sufficient cash with us.
- This is because of ATMs, as well as other payments app, may not be purposive at various points. Try to book hotels and cars in advance to minimize cash transactions. You can easily rely on local tourism for any type of assistant either online or offline. However, you will get offices of the tourisms in all the metropolitan cities along with their branches with other cities and towns.
- Before the journey, you will plan for how to maintain the beauty of your skin during the course of the tour and make necessary arrangements accordingly.
- However, remember that flawless skin is very hard to develop. Therefore, we will always try so that it does not deteriorate during the touring time. Keeping it in mind, we will follow some skincare routine, particularly at night.
- Moreover, follow how to wash your face for clearer and healthier skin as much as possible.
- If anyone has the problem of acne, then be careful so that the problem does not aggravate
- Further, your sunscreen cream must be SPF50.
- Try to use rosewater in journey time to keep face moisturized.
- Added to this, any tour may cause a problem for hair, particularly for those who have the problem of hair loss.
- There may be electrical problems as it is not very regular. Charging mobile phone and cameras may create some problem. If possible, then may arrange extra battery.
- The cottage owner provides hot water if necessary. Know their terms and conditions.
- Finally, we need to be careful about our sleep. Any disturbance may create a problem for enjoyment the next day.
Therefore, learn my following topics regarding sleep.
They will help you not only during the tour but also throughout your life.
For the tour, we need a lot of money. For this, our savings is very important. The following topics will help us to save and enjoy life. Savings is another very important subject in everyone’s life.
- Factual reasons to save money.
- Importance of savings in life.
- Savings account.
- Mutual fund.
- Life Insurance Policy.
- How to save money?
- How to grow your savings?
- Save money being a housewife.
How to reach Sillery Gaon?
- The nearest airport is Bagdogra. It is easy to come from anywhere in India. If You are not getting a direct flight, then come to Kolkata and change flight from there.
- Bagdogra airport is 99.5 km away from Sillery Gaon. And it will take 3 hours and 43 minutes to reach.
- Foreigners will at first come to Kolkata.
From Kolkata come to NJP Station or New Mall Junction. The best train is Darjeeling Mail) / Padatik Express, Kanchan Kanya Express (all from Sealdah Station) West Bengal. Moreover, NJP is very well connected with all over India by train.
NJP Station is 93.3 km away from Sillery Gaon and will take 3 hours and 35 minutes.
New Mal Junction is 76.7 km away and requires 2 hours and 55 minutes.
Take NBSTC, SBSTC, CSTC or other buses up to TENJIN –NORGE Bus Terminus, Siliguri.
National highways are connecting it all over India.
At first, we will hire a car from Bagdogra airport or N.J.P. station or New Mal Junction or Siliguri bus stand. Cars will charge roughly Rs. 2500 to Rs. 4000, daily, according to size and class.
In fact, the rates are tentative and differ according to season. If you can bargain, then it may give a favourable result. Anyhow, cars will make your journey much enjoyable. Otherwise, you have to wait for local cars. At first, they are not always available. Moreover, they will start if they get the total number of passengers. Added to this, is midway dropping problem. Moreover, you may not get direct cars always. Additionally, you have to carry enough cash for that. Although economical, it is time-consuming. In fact, it will exhaust your energy. As a result, it will lower your enjoyment level.
At first, reach Kalimpong. Further, Sillery Gaon is only 23.3 km away from Kalimpong town and it takes only 1 hour and 11 minutes to reach there from Kalimpong.
From Kalimpong, you will go roughly 15 km along Rishi Road and reach Algarah. It will take around 40 minutes. Afterwards, you turn towards Pedong-Rishi Road. Then ‘Bish Mile’ will come. After about 500 meters you will get a narrow road that bifurcates the Pedong bound road. At first, this road is winding. Moreover, it is gravel. The total path is surrounded by dense woods. However, one can glimpse the stunning Himalayan peaks.
I think the above information will help you a great deal.
Mesmeric Himalayan beauty in the verdant greenery will feel your mind as well as your soul with ample happiness. In fact, you will experience a heavenly atmosphere in Sillery Gaon. You must say to yourself that perhaps this is heaven.
Above all, it will improve your self-esteem in your family for choosing such a wonderful dreamland.
Indeed, we all want more and more success in life. For this, we require some attitudes which ultimately decides our success.
However, your trip in Sillery Gaon will certainly better the followings:
- Positive attitude.
- How to stay motivated?
- How to be positive? Essential for success in life
- Power of spoken words.
- Stress and Stress Management Technique.
- Goal and Goal setting.
May also read some tasty recipes like:
You may also read some general awareness topics which may be useful in your life like:
- Freelancing income.
- Artificial intelligence.
- Leadership Qualities.
- Educate Girls can change the world