Gratitude, the best attitude to shine in life influences a man’s whole perspective. It strengthens our social bonds. It fosters us mentally and physically.
Gratitude: the Best Attitude to Shine in Life:
The word gratitude is a noun. It means- “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness”. “she expressed her gratitude to the committee for their support”
Similar: gratefulness, thankfulness, thanks, appreciation, recognition.
I will use some of these words at times in place of gratitude.
1. ‘As a return of gratitude, he is willing to share a large percentage of the sum with you.’
2.‘The club has extended their sincere gratitude to all that support the weekly lotto.’
3. ‘A great evening was had by all and he expressed his gratitude to the people of the Parish.’
4. ‘When I look at him today, I feel this tremendous sense of respect and gratitude for what he did.’
5. ‘Many sailors visited the area while on leave to meet local people and express their gratitude.’
6. ‘Now you have an idea of the ecstatic gratitude I have been feeling since I returned.’
7. ‘We want to express our gratitude for their trust and for letting us manage the initial steps of the investigation.’
8. ‘They also expressed gratitude to supporters who wrote to their MPs and members of the House of Lords.’
9. ‘As a result of these victories, each man had the admiration of the world and the undying gratitude of his nation.’
10. ‘Pay compliments often but sincerely and show people gratitude whenever appropriate.’
11. ‘She wrote to me expressing her gratitude for the help I had given her in Denmark.’
12. ‘What promised to be a miserable evening turned out to be one of sweet gratitude.’
From Oxford Cambridge Dictionary.
the feeling or quality of being grateful:
What is Appreciation:
It is very hard to define it.
We may define it in various ways like
1. Giving thanks.
2. Being thankful,
3. The emotional state of thankfulness,
4. To have or to show thankfulness for the kindness received from others.
Therefore, it is instantaneously
a. An act of doing.
b. A state of being.
c. An emotional gift granted to another.
We will never do the mistake to understand the power that we can wield from a humble “Thank you”. Unfortunately, this is not the thing that we hear daily. Even everyone cannot realize its power.
It may be either on an individual level or amongst the family members. Moreover, it works between friends and associates. Besides, it also produces unbelievable results on a professional ground, between the business partners and the collaborators.
How We Can Express Gratitude?
Different people express it differently. And the most common is to say
b. “Thank you”
c. “I am grateful”
d. “Many thanks to you”.
Anyhow, we may express it differently.
To tell the truth, we can express gratitude with the following ways
A. Body language,
C. Acts of kindness
Even we can gift something to show our gratitude.
However, we can say “thank you”
• to show our politeness or
• we are really grateful.
Gratefulness is something that will come from the core of our heart. Otherwise, it will seem that we are saying or doing because you are expecting.
Scientifically Proven Benefits of Gratitude:
To start with, our positive emotions are very powerful. Out of them, appreciation is most probably the best emotion. They can do a lot of good for us like
A. Boost our resilience.
B. Enhance productivity.
C. Improve relationships.
D. Improve our health.
E. Help us live longer and etc.
However, we can easily distribute the benefits of this attitude in the following five groups:
Gratitude Molds Our Personality:
At first, we start to practice appreciation. Then it starts to shape our character by bringing some changes. The objective is to make us a better person from almost all aspects of life.
It brings the following changes in our personality;
1)Makes Us More Optimistic:
In the first place, it is associated with optimism. Besides, it helps to see only the positivity, rather than the negativity.
• A study revealed that people who maintain a weekly journal for this showed 5% boost in optimism.
• Another study showed that people who keep a daily aforesaid journal are resulting in a 15% rise in optimism.
Actually, gratitude helps us to focus on the good sides in life. If we observe betterment in the presence, then we will automatically believe our future life will also be better. It happens because we focus more on the good rather than on the bad (personal disappointment, anxiety, etc…).
It, in turn, makes us happier. As a result, we are more optimistic regarding our future.
Greediness or materialism is directly correlated with a mental disorder. It makes us feel less skilled. Moreover, it lessens our ability to enjoy the goodness of life. So it creates negative emotions. At the same time, it makes us self-centred.
Gratitude focuses less on things that hardly matter. Therefore, it reduces materialism.
In all honesty, spirituality and this appreciation go hand in hand. An increase in it is more likely to increase our spirituality or vice-versa.
4)Makes Us Humbler:
Appreciation and humbleness move in close association. They mutually reinforce one another. When we express this, it, in turn, encourages our humility. On the other hand, humility amplifies our ability to experience and convey appreciation.
5)Make Us Less Self-centered:
This acknowledges others along with their kindness. As a result, we become less self-centred.
6)Make us more kind and giving.
It helps to promote our social behaviour. Grateful people are more likely to help others.
Improves Our Physical Health:
Research also proved that it is able to better our physical health. There are many reasons why this appreciation makes people so much healthier.
1)Makes More Exercise:
Studies revealed the following.
People who maintain a gratitude journal exercise 33% more than those who do not keep it. The reason may be that it makes them more health-conscious. They know that it will protect their health.
2)Lowers Blood Pressure:
Emmons in his work ‘Thanks’ said “Negative emotions create a chain reaction in the body—blood vessels constrict, blood pressure rises, and the immune system is weakened.
This kind of consistent imbalance can put a strain on the heart and other organs, and eventually, lead to serious health problems.”
Therefore, we may say that appreciation or positive emotions help to maintain our blood pressure. As a result, it is good for our health.
(Also read: Olive Oil lowers our blood pressure.)
3)Strengthen our Immune System:
HeartMath techniques are so beautifully designed that if we practice it can provoke our feelings of appreciation. In fact, it is seen that gratitude results in a major rise in the levels of immunoglobulin A.
It is an antibody that serves as resistance against viruses. We may also call it as the first defensive line within our body. Consequently, it helps to strengthen our immunity.
(Also read: Mangoes strengthen our immune system)
However, the above mentioned HeartMath techniques are found to decrease the level of cortisol hormone. At the same time, they increase the level of DHEA hormone. As a result, we experience physiological relaxation. Therefore, it lowers our stress.
Appreciation along with other positive emotions may produce pain-relieving effects by increasing the release of the endogenous opioids. As a result, they have more pain tolerance.
Due to all the benefits described above, gratitude helps to activate the parasympathetic branch of our nervous system. It is also familiar as our relaxation response. As a result, we can easily experience deep sleep.
Not only this, but it also helps our sound and sufficient sleep. Besides, people with positive emotions hardly face the problem of sleep paralysis.
This is another reason why this makes people so much healthier.
7)Helps to Live Longer:
Moreover, it along with all other positive attitudes are helpful to lengthen our lifespan. Considering all the above-mentioned health benefits that this attitude provides, we may easily conclude it.
(Also read: Apples helps to live longer)
8) Increases Our Energy Levels:
Gratitude and energy are correlated. The study revealed that grateful people are more likely to possess more physical and mental energy. (Motivation). Also read, how to stay motivated.
The followings are true.
1. People with vitality as well as appreciation do possess high levels of life satisfaction along with optimism.
2. It adds to physical and mental welfare, which in turn enhances our energy levels.
(Also read: Benefits of Protein)
Improves Our Emotional Life:
At first, it can develop and better our emotional life.
1)Boost Our Resilience:
As a matter of fact, resilience is a very powerful attitude. It helps us to get well quickly from stressful situations as well as setbacks in lives. Gratitude helps us to view the bigger picture of life, at first. Then, we start to remember only the positivity in our lives.
We look for more social support. Therefore, there is hardly any chance for bad events to push downward. As a result, we are more likely not to feel any stress. It also works beautifully as some stress management techniques. Above all, this attitude helps to increase our resilience.
2)Improve Our Self-esteem:
It helps us to see the good that other people do for us. We can feel that others are not only caring for us but also loving us at the same time. Further, they are appreciating us. As a result, we start to feel better and find enjoyment in our lives. Due to these, our self-esteem also gets better and better as days go by.
3)Better Our Positivity Ratio:
To find this we have to define at first the frequency of positive emotions over a scheduled time span. Then we need to find the negative emotions over that period. Now, we will divide these two to find the ratio.
If our P/N ratio is more than 3:1 then it indicates that we will flourish and make an upward swing in life. Otherwise, there is every possibility that we will go downwards.
Under this circumstance, gratitude helps to boost up the ratio. Because we experience more positive emotions like
Destructive as well as negative emotions are
4)Make Us Happier:
In the first place, gratitude helps us to feel good. Moreover, it helps us to notice only the good that is happening to us. Therefore, we cannot see any negative in our lives.
Consequently, it helps to develop a positive feeling regarding ourselves. So we are able to see only the good in our lives. Robert Emmons along with his colleagues has made a thorough research on this subject. He found that it is such a powerful emotion that can permanently lift our intensity of happiness.
Improves Our Social Life:
Apart from our emotional life and physical health, our social life also gains significant benefits from this attitude. People around us receive multiple benefits too. Therefore, we also enjoy a lot of benefits which are as follows:
1)Improves understanding, compassionate, helpfulness, and kindness:
“…people who kept gratitude journals reported feeling closer and more connected to others, were more likely to help others, and were actually seen as more helpful by significant others in their social networks,” Emmons’ in ‘Thanks’.
Our appreciation, as well as other positive emotions, will help others close to us. So it helps to relieve them from their suffering.
2)Make People to Like Us Better:
It is our experience, that people who possess this quality are happier. Moreover, they are of pleasing nature. We find this among our family, friends and others who are around us. If we are grateful, then we will always feel affection for all.
Additionally, we will always have love and care for others. Due to this, we will treat people in a better way. As a result, people with this attitude receives love and recognition from others.
Another great effect of it is that it improves friendships. It also better our love and relations or romantic relationships. At first, we demonstrate gratitude towards our life partner, children, other family members and relatives, our friends and colleagues.
It pleases them. Therefore, they feel good. In turn, they also try to make us feel good. As a result, it improves our relationship. If we are able to share this attitude, then we will face any problem in a better way.
As a result, it will strengthen the relationship. However, it is our role of parent to develop this life-changing quality with our children.
4)Create a Positive Feedback Loop:
As we are grateful to others, so it causes others to feel grateful toward us. Therefore, it helps to build a positive feedback loop. Consequently, it helps to develop better social bonds.
Improves Professional Skills
In all honesty, appreciation improves our emotional life, physical health, and social life. Therefore, we carry benefits over to our workplace. It boosts our performance.
Research work has shown that it can do the followings:
1)Enhance Our Productivity:
So far, we came to know that gratitude can bring the following changes in our life:
A. Improves creativity.
B. Decreases negative thoughts.
C. Better our health.
D. Lowers stress
E. Raises energy levels.
F. Increases our self-esteem.
G. Makes us optimistic.
H. Opens more possibilities and etc.
As a result, it reduces the feeling of insecurity in our lives. In turn, we can focus better. Consequently, it improves our productivity.
2)Make Us More Creative:
It, in fact, expands our vision. Therefore, we find more ideas and more creative solutions to all the problems. As a result, our creativity increases.
3)Improves Our Decision-making Power:
In the first place, decision making is not an easy task. A study shows that this quality motivates us to make a better decision. Therefore, we may conclude that gratitude improves our decision-making power.
4)Increases Our Goal Achievement:
There was a study. The authority asked the participants to write down the goals that they want to achieve in the next two months. However, we need our goal-setting skills for this.
People who maintain a journal on this attitude reported more progress than others who do not have such a journal. It was found at the end of that study.
Therefore, we may conclude that appreciation does not make us lazy and inactive. Rather the opposite is true.
5)Builds Our Social Capital:
In fact, it encourages our philanthropic behaviour. As a result, it improves our friendships. Because of this attitude, grateful people are able to grow comparatively more social capital. This is why they can easily build their own network.
6)Make Us More Effective Leaders:
Actually, it improves our leadership qualities. We learn to praise as well as to motivate others. Therefore, followers receive positive emotions. It, in turn, facilitates to enhance their performances. As a result, it makes us a better leader.
Ways to Cultivate a Gratitude Practice:
In all honesty, expressing our appreciation is perhaps the best and the simplest way to boost our overall happiness. To cultivate better and fruitful practice we can do any one or all of these.
• At first, we will develop a habit to maintain a daily appreciation journal. We will write down there at least 3 things that we are really thankful for.
• Secondly, we will always express our appreciation. We will daily appreciate something about our spouse, children, other family members, friends and relatives, colleagues and others. We will tell it to them.
• Thirdly, we will write a thank-you note and give it to them. With the help of it, we will inform someone how much we enjoy or miss them. Besides, we can appreciate their gift or generosity or their influence on our life.
• Apart from this, we can also appreciate ourselves. For this, we will stand in front of a mirror in our home. Now, we will think about what good we have done yesterday or recently. Added to this, what thing we like about ourselves.
Some Examples of Words of Appreciation:
We use words of appreciation when we want to express our feelings of gratitude or appreciation towards someone. However, these words need not be both long and fancy. The only necessity is that they must come by heart.
Common Words of Appreciation:
3. You make me happy.
4. My sincere thanks.
5. You’ve been very helpful.
6. This is great.
7. You are a blessing.
8. Thanks a lot.
9. You’re the best.
10. I am grateful to you.
11. You are an inspiration
12. You’re so great.
13. I appreciate you.
14. You are a true friend.
Words of Appreciation for Gifts I am grateful for you and your generosity.
- You made my birthday/marriage/anniversary a special day.
- If you could see my face right now, you’d see a look of gratitude.
- You picked the perfect gift for me.
- Thank you for showering me with gifts for the baby.
- I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
- You are one of the most generous people I know.
- Are there no limits to your generosity?
- You are so thoughtful and generous in your gift-giving.
- Thank you for the delightful gift.
- You must have read my mind because your gift is exactly what I wanted.
- Thanks for being so thoughtful. Your gift means a lot to me.
Words of Appreciation for Help & Support
- You’re my best friend.
- How can we ever thank you enough for all you’ve done?
- We’re forever grateful.
- You helped me right when I needed help most.
If anyone deserves thanks, it’s you.
- You are the most beautiful and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me.
- I’m so lucky! I really appreciate your support in this endeavour.
- You have been extremely supportive through this difficult time.
- I could not have gotten through it without you.
- We must thank you for your support at this time.
- I want to thank you for all the support and concern.
- That was very kind of you.
- How can I ever repay you?
- Your support has made me a stronger person and I will forever be grateful.
- Thank you for always being there for me.
Gratitude in the Workplace
- Your commitment to this project is second to none.
- Thank you for sharing your vision
- You have a winner’s attitude.
- Thank you for taking the initiative and getting it done.
- You are a great employee and a positive force around the office.
- I want to acknowledge everyone’s extra effort.
You did an excellent job on that report.
- We appreciate your innovative thinking.
- You have been a valuable member of our team.
- I want to thank you publicly for your hard work and dedication.
- Your attitude and work level suit us here, so keep up the good work!
- I appreciate you supporting me at the meeting.
- Your commitment to excellence has inspired others
- Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me.
Ways to Show Gratitude for the People in Our Life:
- We may share a particular instance that anyone had done for us and how it brought a change in my life.
- We may also give them something that we think they will enjoy. Then, we can say them the specific reason why we want they shall have it.
- Besides, we will inspire them to try something that we know they are wanting to try.
- But they have not yet done because they are afraid. Furthermore, we may look in their eyes and say, “You make the world a better place.”
Show Appreciation to People Who Challenge Us:
- At first, we may thank them for familiarizing us to see the things newly, even if we are still in a dilemma.
- We will resist the temptation of saying anyone ‘you are wrong’.
- If they pushed us to leave our comfort zone, then we will thank them for inspiring us to take the risk.
- And we will inform them how it is paying off in our life.
- We will always appreciate them when they throw a lovingly challenge us in a non-confrontational way.
Show Gratitude to People Who Serve You If they are serving us regularly.we will in return always acknowledge something good in them.
- It may be they always efficient in their work,
- stay calm under pressure.
- always do well
- We may also acknowledge them and inform their superior that they do this excellent work or job.
- We may offer them coffee or tea or some refreshments if they are working in or outside our home.
Show Gratitude to People Who Work with You
- If we can, then we may try to minimize their workload anyhow without hampering them.
- We may also ask them about their personal lives instead of business talk always.
- It doesn’t mean that we are interfering into their personal matters.
- This is just showing more interest in them as people.
- We may give them flowers as a gift of love.
- They may keep it on their desk.
- We may let their boss aware of how they are putting up a great performance and contributing superbly to the company.
Show Gratitude for our self If anyone compliments us.
- at first, we will thank them.
- Then we will let them know that we feel pride for that ability, talent, or achievement.
- However, we will create an inventory.
- There we will list all the good works we have done so far for others as well as the world.
- We will always share the beauty of the people around us.
- Moreover, we will let them know that we are fortunate to have them in our lives.
‘I am fortunate to have you in mine. You make the world a better place!’
We may also feel gratitude for these things:
- At first, our parents for giving us birth. Without them, we cannot experience this beautiful world. Apart from this, they brought up us with their love and affections. They perfectly play the role of parents. I personally want to appreciate them for their special care as I am a girl child. We all know the status of the girl child in India.
- Secondly, our family for their heartiest support. We always get their support whenever and wherever we required in our life.
- Thirdly our friends for giving their valuable companion as well as their support all the way in our life.
- Fourth is our mind for our ability to think in a realistic way. Moreover, our memories for their storage capacity and power of solutions.
- Next, our good health to facilitate us to do what we want to do.
- Then our school for providing a favourable environment to learn and grow
- Besides our gratitude to our teachers for their passion and dedication and for giving us education as well as knowledge.
Further all our Pains for making us a stronger person.
- Furthermore, our happiness that makes our lives so beautiful.
- Added to this is Sunrise for a beautiful sight in the morning at the start of the day.
- Oxygen for breathing and making life possible.
- However our mother nature for presenting us such an alluring and charming world.
- Technology for providing us manifested benefits which make impossible things possible.
- Books for providing wisdom into our life
- Time for organizing ourselves and keeping track of all our activities.
- Additionally is our job for giving us a source of livelihood and for providing a medium where we may add some value to this wonderful world.
- There is music for lifting our spirits when we feel morose and for filling our lives with more love.
- Additionally is our home which is like heaven by providing us shelter as well as giving us peace of mind.
- Our soul mate who understands everything we are going through.
Our best friends for the cooperation we receive in every step of our lives.
- Moreover, there are enemies that help us to uncover our blind spots and can be a better person.
- All our mistakes to help us to improve and become better.
- Another one is our Love that adds sweetness to our lives.
- Life’s challenges that help us to grow and become what we are today.
- Finally, the Life that gives us the chance to experience all the heart-throb beauties so far. And more that will be coming in our lives in the future.
However, I being a Bengali is thankful to Bengali Foods for their food value and delicacy.
Moreover, I am thankful to my mom for her cooking ability. Of them are
In the first place, these quotes are not only to write greeting cards. Rather, they may easily reflect all those aspects that we should be thankful for. Even these quotes can inspire others.
We can bring significant changes in our attitude. As a result, we can experience gradual betterment in our life.
- “At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.” – Albert Schweitzer.
- “Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “Gratitude turns what we have into enough.” – Anonymous “Gratitude is a powerful catalyst for happiness. It’s the spark that lights a fire of joy in your soul.” – Amy Collette
- “Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
- “Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” – Henri Frederic Amiel
- “Happiness cannot be travelled to owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
- “Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.” – Karl Barth
- “No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude.” – Alfred North Whitehead
- “In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
“Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind.” – Lionel Hampton
- “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” – Cynthia Ozick
- “You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” – Gilbert C. Chesterton
- “Gratitude will shift you to a higher frequency, and you will attract much better things.” – Rhonda Byrne
Some more gratitude quotes are:
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
- “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn’t learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all be thankful.” – Buddha
- “Gratitude helps you to grow and expand; gratitude brings joy and laughter into your life and into the lives of all those around you.” – Eileen Caddy•
- “Two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give.” – Edwin Arlington Robinson
- “Gratitude is the sweetest thing in a seekers life – in all human life. If there is gratitude in your heart, then there will be tremendous sweetness in your eyes.” Sri Chinmoy
- “As with all commandments, gratitude is a description of a successful mode of living. The thankful heart opens our eyes to a multitude of blessings that continually surround us.” – James E. Faust
- “The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see.” – Mary Davis
- “The deepest craving of human nature is the need to be appreciated. ” – William James
- “There is a calmness to a life lived in gratitude, a quiet joy.” — Ralph H. Blum
“Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.” – Jacques Maritain
- “The root of joy is gratefulness.” David Steindl-Rast
- “I’ve had a remarkable life. I seem to be in such good places at the right time. You know, if you were to ask me to sum my life up in one word, gratitude.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” – Epictetus
- “Being thankful is not always experienced as a natural state of existence, we must work at it, akin to a type of strength training for the heart.” – Larissa Gomez
- “Today I choose to live with gratitude for the love that fills my heart, the peace that rests within my spirit, and the voice of hope that says all things are possible.” – Anonymous
“We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” – Thornton Wilder
- “If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” — Rabbi Harold Kushner
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
- You can only move if you are actually in the moment. You have to be where you are to get where you need to go.” – Amy Poehler
- “Gratitude for the present moment and the fullness of life now is the true prosperity.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” – Aesop
- “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation.” – Brian Tracy
- “Opening your eyes to more of the world around you can deeply enhance your gratitude practice.” – Derrick Carpenter
“Nothing is more honourable than a grateful heart.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “Be grateful for what you already have while you pursue your goals. If you aren’t grateful for what you already have, what makes you think you would be happy with more.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Train yourself never to put off the word or action for the expression of gratitude.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “Gratitude is riches. The complaint is poverty.” – Doris Day
- “When you are grateful, fear disappears and abundance appears.” – Anthony Robbins
- “What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.” – Brene
From the above, we learn what is appreciation. Then we learn the benefits of it. Moreover, we learn how we can express this attitude. Further, there are things for which we may feel our appreciation.
However, this is very powerful. We should give only 5-10 minutes to practice this. Apart from these, we need to say various words of appreciation whom we meet.
If we already possess this, then we are aware of its power and the changes it has done in our lives. If we do not have this, then we will start this from today.
This is the one thing that will bring a sea change in our life. If anybody asks us what single life change, we want to bring in our life. Without any hesitation, the answer must be gratitude.
Therefore, we will start practising it from now and make it a part of our character.
Afterwards, we will enjoy our life.